Saturday, May 7, 2011

Weekend Update

Wednesday
While my mom was at Vanderbilt Hospital, I was able to spend the night with my dear friend Jessica. She works in the music industry, so we were able to go see a dress rehearsal of a soon-to-tour country singer named Chase Rice. Chase is also known for his presence on Survivor, where he was the runner-up to the season’s winner.
I think I was the shortest person at the concert…


Thursday
I came back Thursday evening from Vandy and met up with my twinkie, Stephanie, and her bf, Matt, for Cinco de Mayo. Stephanie had just gotten back from a lengthy trip in Europe. Yay for her safe return!

Friday
Sometimes it is just more fun to do things on the spur of the moment. We had no plans for this weekend other than some household things that need to get done. Our friends Sarah and Joe also did not have plans, so we decided to go to Bhan Thai. How yummy!!! I ate a chicken garlic and veggie dish mixed with rice, but I wish I ordered what Tyler had – a delicious Thai noodle, chicken, and broccoli dish. Now I want to figure out how to make those noodles with the wok that we never use.

Saturday
Running day! I checked out the Cooper Young Farmer’s Market on the route. Should have gone back but it started raining when my run ended. Tyler and I ran several errands including an extended visit to Lowe’s for stuff to grout and tile our ½ bath. While I was killing time at Lowe’s, I decided to take my poorly practiced green thumb to the next level… So I now have a miniature herb garden consisting of oregano, sweet basil, rosemary, and cilantro! This is in addition to my tomato plan, 2 petunias, and dying pansies.

Go Grizz! Joe and Stephanie were at our house during the game! Between the 4 of us, my homemade guacamole lasted maybe 30 minutes. Will definitely make it again! If the Grizzlies keep up their good postseason status, looks like we may have more party food to go along with the games.

Stephanie and Matt joined us for dinner. Tyler and I had picked out meat from Charlie’s Meat Market. We also had a delicious asian slaw (see recipe below) and ciabatta bread. No room was left for dessert, a good thing and bad thing at the same time:)

Asian Slaw:
* 1 packages beef flavored ramen noodles
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup sugar or Splenda equivalent (I used Splenda)
* 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
* 1 (16 ounce) package shredded coleslaw mix
1/2 cup sliced almonds (2.25oz package)

Directions
1. Place noodles in a bowl of warm water and soak for 15 minutes or until soft.
2. Whisk together the oil, sugar, vinegar and seasoning packs.
3. Drain the noodles and combine in a large bowl with the coleslaw and almonds.
4. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

I should have added green onions but didn't. It would be good either way.

1 comment: