Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful Thoughts and Golden Eggs



Once again I have neglected my blog.  I really have just been waiting to write about something special.  Thanksgiving and all of its festivities seem to be special enough to blog about, so here goes!

I am SOOOO thankful that my parents and Tyler's parents live within a 15 minute drive of each other.  I can't imagine how complicated it must be for couples that have to split holidays between different cities or states.  We were able to see both of our families on the same day!

Thanksgiving began by a somewhat traditional Turkey Day 5K that was hosted by Gold's Gym in Jackson.  It benefits RIFA (Rural Interfaith Association) and their food pantry.  While my mom was busy prepping the food, Stephanie, Matt, Tyler and I burned some pre-feast calories.  Matt finished first for his age group with a time of 17:40!  Way to go!

Thanksgiving lunch at my parent's included 18 hungry mouths (15 big mouths, 3 little mouths) and 7 dogs including Belle.  As mentioned in a blog post several months ago, I LOVE my grandmother's dressing, so of course we had some of that to go around plus other traditional dishes, the bird, and a plethora of desserts.  Check out some pics...

The Kid's Table - although our ages range from mid-20's to mid-30's
Neice Carlie (2), Nephews Chase (8) and Charlie (6), and Meeko

Siblings: Chris, me, Stephanie, and Payton

Grandparents!  Mammaw, Rubye, and Papa Max!

All the girls
All the boys
 After a fulfilling visit with my side, we headed over to Tyler's parents.  Travis, Laurette, and Jack were also there for an Indiana-traditional dinner.  Tyler grew up eating oyster dressing (bread based) and noodles served atop of mashed potatoes.  Sorry, no pictures of that, but I do have a picture of Jack and "Pops."


We watched a good amount of football after our second feast of the day.  For Black Friday, we slept in, watched football, and Mrs. Kris and I did a little bit of late afternoon / evening shopping.  We gave the mad rush shoppers enough time to get home before hitting up the Columns in Jackson. 

Saturday, we woke up and headed for Starkville for the annual Egg Bowl game between State and Ole' Miss.  We pay into a tailgate and were in charge of bringing food to this game.  You can see the spread in the picture.  We had bison chili, a veggie tray, M-State shaped pasta salad, and lots of dips and various other items.  Of course it would pour down on the game, making a mud pit of the tailgating by the end of the night. 

Tyler's fraternity house.  He lived here for 3 years during college.  So pretty with the decor!

Although Mississippi State is the finest educational establishment in the state, there will always be some home-grown country folks.  This nice rat tail is a prime example.
# Hail State as the end zone.  I don't have Twitter, but I think this made a statement for those that do.
Despite a wet, messy game, State pulled off an impressive win over Ole Miss.  This is the most important game of every year.  We were able to been the Black Bears for the 3rd time in a row - a 3-peat as many called it!
The Golden Egg as a prize for a 31 to 3 victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment